Roleplayer #5, August 1987
Writing for GURPS
by W.G. Armintrout
When it comes to GURPS, we want only the best writers – but many times, the best writers are the players. That means YOU! If you are interested in writing for us, follow these simple steps:
- Send a self-addressed, legal-sized stamped envelope to us, and ask for the GURPS Writer's Guidelines.
- Think about what you'd most like to see us do, then write it. Start small – an adventure is much easier to write than a worldbook.
- Send us a Query Letter before you write more than a page or two. The letter – one to five pages long (put "ATTN: Editorial" on the envelope) should include:
- your "proposal," the explanation of what you want to write,
- an outline, showing the parts of the text and an approximate page breakdown,
- a plot synopsis, if it's an adventure (or, better yet, several synopses – let us choose the best),
- a writing sample – send us the intoduction and a sample of your rules, for example, to show us you can write, and
- a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE).
- Then wait for our reply. It may take a while – an incredible stream of mail comes through here – but Steve Jackson Games is one place where even a regular game-player can get published. (How do you think I got started?)
(Back to Roleplayer #5 Table of Contents)
Copyright © 1997-2019 by Steve Jackson Games. All rights reserved.
Steve Jackson Games | GURPS | Roleplayer Index